Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Road Trip: St. Louis, MO


I took a short trip to St. Louis, MO this past weekend. Literally....left Chicago on Saturday night and boarded Megabus, took at $1.00 bus ride to St. Louis. That's right. I got a $1.00 bus ticket via the site and had to endure 5 hours on the road, but there was only like 7 passengers, so we all literally froze outside Union Station, but boarded the bus at 12:10 am on Sunday, April 8th and arrived in St. Louis at 5:10 am, at the Union Station in STL. I actually got a little sleep and then was picked up by my family (The Millers), when I got to the house in Florissant, MO, I went straight to sleep for a couple of hours, and then, logged online, but did not check any of my emails, and made some phone calls. I spoke with Fo Feet and confirmed the time that I needed to be at her venue for SHE-ISM's Sunday event at Legacy Books and Cafe, and then, relaxed for most of the day. 5Pm, I arrived at the venue and asked Charlie Brown (one of FoFeet's musicians from her dope house band) if he knew some Anita Baker tunes. I ended up singing, Sweet Love and Been So Long, however, I ended up messing up both of these songs during my 15 minute performance. The poetry was on point. The crowd had a good time, and so did I. I realized, I have not publicly sung since the days of singing in New Hope Missionary Baptist Church Choir (Chicago, IL), and although I sing sometimes with my poetry, it's not a full song. I was told by several people including Starlite that I need to get in 'the studio' to do a full CD. It's not a focus right now, but it's not the first time I've heard that I have a 'pretty voice'. I"m not full of myself, God has given me this as another gift. Anyway, after being at Legacy for a few hours, I went back to Florissant, for a few hours, and hung out with my cousin for a few hours on Monday (my train was leaving at 5pm - Amtrak). I decided to take a different route home, plus I planned to write poetry on the trip home and watch movies on my laptop. I got "Business Class" on Amtrak and it only cost an additional 14 dollars. My train ticket was 36 dollars total. Had I taken the plan, I would have paid double that amount along. Because I have lovely family, I didn't have to drive myself, they took me everywhere I needed. I'm blessed. Anyway, The train ride was longer than 5 hours, but I must say, Business Class is the bomb and I might have to do that again. You have a lot more room, and it's like Leather seats. I was in heaven. I enjoyed watching "Phat Girlz" and "Kill Bill" on my new laptop, and reading, "Riding Rhythm" while waiting to get home. I got home last night around Midnight, and took a cab ride home, which took me about 15 minutes from the loop. Even though I didn't eat breakfast this morning, I had a great Lunch after my class - and then, got to the business of getting my little writer/publisher life back into order. Total cost of trip: $37 dollars. I kid you not!!!!!
Next up: Another writer/poet...stay tuned to the Musings Report.
Hope your Easter was fulfilling.
-- Mocha Sistah

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I WOULD LOVE A TRIP LIKE THAT! ST LOUIS..ONE DAY I WILL GET THERE..TO SEE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE.

U ARE NOT AFRAID TO VENTURE OUT AND THAT IS GREAT!!

THANKS FOR SHARING..

mochasistah said...

next up...maybe the UK or other countries. Only God knows where I will end up. Life is too short 2 be afraid...

thanks 4 reading