Thursday, May 04, 2006

Hitting The Ground Running


I have tons of things to do today, but wanted to try to post something before I gather my wits, poems, and drag my suitcase on the plane tommorrow for the weekend trip to New Jersey. Let's recap this week. I had jury Duty, which was so boring that I can't believe I got out of there enough to miss the 400,000 marchers of the Immigration Rallies in Chicago on Monday. I count myself lucky because I know how crowded it could have been, but I saved myself by 1) avoiding regular transportation and 2) spending extra money and taking the Metra home. I understand that the United States might want to secure its borders, but why you wait until now to try to put a law that will make it a crime for those who have abided by the laws for a specific amount of years, with no crime background, who's had to pass a citizenship test, paid $330 per application per person, and tell 14 Million People they are going to have to go back from whence they came. How about the employers who chose to employ the illegals and made money off of them? How about the tons of children who are legal citizens but there parents aren't? Now we create broken families? And for those who say they are made that the illegals have taken american jobs. I know a few Americans who don't want to sit in no hot sun picking out oranges, and other fruits or vegetables, or sit in a hot factory doing work that is not pretty. Why wasn't a Guest Worker program put in place before September 11th. I don't think it's fair to cry wolf all of a sudden, and rush through a law that will affect millions. This is America for crying out loud~

One day we gonna get it together, but for today I guess I'll settle for us trying to have open conversations about this issue. It affects so many people, communities and businesses. If we are going to penalize those crossing the borders, how about those employers? Landlords who took their rent monies? Umm, just food for thought.

Why I'm so deep on a Thumping Thursday? We are doing community poems in my classes today. I'm hoping for more than the usual, "Community Is" poem. I hope to see some real issues raised in the poems today.

I've got a ton of things to do before I hit the road. Write an artist bio, umm, not sure that's going to get done. My house will be rocking tonight - CDs burning, poems printing, and my bedroom will be a wreck before I leave. You know it's so hard for ladies to find that perfect outfit. A sistah got to look somewhat good. I might have to go shopping tonight after my high school classes.

Anyway, I'm hitting the ground running. The sun is peeking through my windows. That tells me everything is going to be alright. Praying for a beautiful day and a healing nation, I bid you adieu.

~ Mocha Sistah

2 comments:

Diamond said...

Mocha,

Whew! I know you are looking forward to coming and I am looking forward to seeing you. Doing those last minute preps and so forth will enable you to be ok. You will be just fine. Hit the ground running, that is what you do!

mochasistah said...

yes, i am now listening to an online internet show, burning cds, and trying to be invisible online so I can take care of items. Whew~ Can't wait to see ya tommorrow or Saturday. It's going to be all good. Take care, Mocha S.