Monday, June 05, 2006

Getting your five minutes...

When was the last time you got five minutes of selfless time, just relaxing and maxing and doing things you like to do. In other words, slowing yourself down. Today, I slowed myself down, actually I was trying to go from one site to another site (schools and program stuff) when I was thrust into my own timezone. I went to a school but they didn't need me and instead of coming home, I thought it would be nice to take a train ride downtown, take in Millenium Park, and enjoy free things. The first thing I did was go find a lunch - Subway was my choice, and I grabbed a chocolate Dove bar, then I laid down on a nice shaded spot under a tree, where I enjoyed more than thirty minutes of peaceful bliss. I took in a few things - watching parents with their children, and leaving my very comfortable spot, I was able to enjoy children running up and down in the water (there are two huge water towers on Michigan Avenue at Millenium Park), where kids can play in the water, and splash all day long. I was wishing I had my flip flops so I could do the same. But I do have a plan to go back on later this week so I can dooo that. I absolutely loved more than five minutes. As I was relaxing, I didn't check my cell phone, and I just found myself sitting in quietness, enjoying the space and time. I ran into an old friend and we talked about the lies folks tell about themselves in "online relationships". That's another blog topic. Anyway, I did enjoy the quietness, and the beautiful sun, weather caressing me, and just breathing.

Getting your five minutes:

1) Take a journal to write
2) Take off the internet, go for a walk
3) Turn off the television, and put on some jazz or quiet music
4) Turn off the cellphone and just relax

- Mocha Sistah

2 comments:

Diamond said...

I do all four suggestions to get my five minutes. It is so important to get five. I do it all the time. Under a tree with a blanket, paper and pen....watching the squirrels, birds and the young folx growing up with their various emotions. Meditate. We must take five minutes to relax, refresh, refine. Nice post, Mocha! Oh and i love Subway!!

Diamond

Anonymous said...

i might do a round two today if i get a chance. it might rain today so i don't know if the weather will hold but at least i'll get five minutes at least to breath today as well. take it light keep moving and strutting my sis.