Saturday, June 17, 2006

Loving Black MEN: ODES TO MY BROTHERS


Soooo, in case you haven't noticed I'm a black woman...and I love black men. Yes, we hear all the statistics all the time, but when was the last time you praised them "any how." Not sure if you haven't seen a recent interview with Serena Williams who mentioned that she no longer dated black men because they are boys and that in ten years they will be obsolete. She made references to Oprah Winfrey's relationship with Stedman and made some allegations about Oprah and children. I know that it's easier to throw stones at our brothers when they are down and I have heard from a lot of black men that women just love to dog 'em out. I thought when I read the interview by Serena that I think it's awful to just give up on the brothers. I mean, I applaud her for finding her 'white' king, however, it's not that easy for me.

And even though I've lived without my father in my life, grew up without him, that has not twisted me to the point where I will flat out give up on them and just say I am not longer interested in them because they are all DOGS or that they are all MESSED Up. As we all go through life, we encounter people who have bags; emotional, physical, dysfunctionalites from childhood. I just think it's really sad when one of our own, says black men are not worth her time or energy. I believe she should have her opinion but I'm not quite through with ya'll yet.

And I am still a believer in my brothers.

Wanted to say a few wonderful things:

I love when you make me smile; when you know I'm pissed
I love when you call me just to say hi.
I love when you drop by the house to help with a project.
I love your strength, humility, creativity, romance, spirituality, and individuality.


Thank you for opening doors for me.
Thank you for being there when I need a 'pick-me-up'
Thank you for being great friends, fathers, mentors, teachers, bus drivers,
whatever gift God gave you.
Thank you for not giving up on yourself in a world that has put you
down sometimes.
Thank you for dealing with us (sisters) when we get a little emotional about
things.
Thank you for taking scraps of your life, and overcoming your challenges.


For those who feel down when they hear sisters say negative things:

Remember there are many more of us who adore you.
Remember there are many more of us who care for you.
Remember there are many women, not just black women, love some of 'you'.
Remember you are needed.
Remember we care about you, even though NONE of us are perfect, we surely appreciate you in our lives...we really do, even when we are 'cursing' you out.
************************************************************************

From my heart to yours...much love and energy
but mostly respect. Remember some of us still need you.

--- Mocha Sistah

4 comments:

Diamond said...

Mocha,

I feel your heart and I see where you are coming from. This is a nice post and I do hope you have a good day on Sunday. I will be around; I will have a day that I will think of my father. Maybe go to see him for a bit. Thank you for your wonderful expressions, I am sure the brothers and fathers appreciate it just the same.

mochasistah said...

Enjoy your day. I will be enjoying the day with family and friends. I will have my time to reflect on some of the better times. And times to come God-willing. Be blessed!

Anonymous said...

Mocha,
Thanks for shouting out your support for us Black bruthas. With sisters like you by our sides, there aint nothing that we can't accomplish together. The Serena interview that you referenced was an internet hoax.

mochasistah said...

Hello Walee:

Sorry to hear once again that the internet got a hoax. Sometimes you never know. Whoever originated that will be lucky if they don't get caught spamming such horrible rhectoric. Walee, honestly, with prayer and God, I have worked real hard to over come my own insecurity and trust issues with my brothers due to growing up without my father. I am so blessed to be able to recognize that all men aren't dogs and that is the beauty of God and just plain faith in you guys. Without black men, I just don't know where I'd be. We need each other...that's the plain fact. And like I said, I love all of my brothers...no one is expected to be perfect.