Saturday, August 26, 2006

Pre-Birthday Musings...


This is the second year reading at the Chicago Poetry Fest...last year was a blast and I don't know why this year, would not be the same. It's a great event where you listen all day to all kinds of writers. Recently as I reviewed the updated book, Tears of a Woman: The Light Within, I got chills up my spine. I really enjoyed the fact that I have had some blessings relating to the book, not in book sales, but general feedback. A lot of people love the little book. All I wanted to do was to write something important. I'm currently waiting on two book reviews, one from a magazine, and one from a writer in the prison system. The last review gave the book four out of five stars,not too bad. I must admit, I haven't been too hard working on getting it into the stores, but after I finish formatting a few author books I will. God has given me a wide open schedule and I only will be working four days starting in October, as I start teaching again, so I will have time to go to some stores and drop off press kits, maybe this time will be different. My networks for marketing are different, as I am now a publisher and I have open channels that will get me where I need to go. Liquid Kisses is getting some love in Chicago and I need to reorder both books in September so I can be ready for literary events in the next few months. I want to move my novel out into the open next year, and hard at work to get that done as well. I will publish it in hard cover, and get a cover designed for it.

Summer 2006 travelling was fun, trips to Bradley University, Cal Poly, and Atlanta, all brought me into focus on my divine purpose. To empower, entertain, and inspire. I had a lot of fun networking with others. The Black Poetry Reunion (www.theblackpoetrycafe.com) was great. Meeting Mark Goggins and the crew (Starr, David Lockett, Ro and others...were great), next April we are going to converge in Chocolate City (DC)...so that should be fun.

Literary events are popping up for me in 2007 (yeah, already). I'm a confirmed panelist at the Brother 2 Brother Symposium, which will be in New Jersey next March 2007, I'm also waiting for confirmation on performing at Ladyfest South (in Decatur, GA) next January. Most likely will be at either the Harlem Book Fair, Printer's Row Book fair or Queens Book Fair in 2007. Need to promote a new title...from Osbey Books and that will keep me pretty busy.

This weekend all is great. I have 5 days to my birthday, family and friends keeping me busy as well as God. I am in a focus group this morning, then I have to interview an artist tonight for a magazine feature. Sunday I will be at the Chicago Poetry festival all day.

Thursday's my birthday, and I will have a 2 hour meeting, then several hanging outs with friends. Friday, a party in Gary Indiana for us VIRGOs, and the rest of the next weekend will be a blur, a mix between family and friends.

I have no time to feel "bluesy" about my b-day...as some might do. I am getting up there. But God's got this queen moving and grooving. I can't wait to get back into school I miss the babies.

Things I am musing on: leaving Chicago, picking a grad school and steps to get me to my ultimate goal by age 41. So I have a lot in my head. Also I want to get back into the studio and work on some tracks. I want to apply my song writing skills to some contests and also do some singing gigs.

All in the life of an ever evolving sister.

Anyway, have a blessed weekend. Do something special for yourself. Don't forget bout the village...they always need you.
\mocha sistah

2 comments:

Diamond said...

Hello Mocha,
Glad yu had a wonderful weekend and especially at the Chicago Poetry Festival. Also, I hope you have a great week and a prosperous one and look forward to your born-day, birth day. Keep busy with your literary events as usual and that is great as well as your new goals!

mochasistah said...

Hey Miss Diamond:

I took myself off line for a few days. So this is my first time back on. Thanks for the love and your friendship. Your words are so nice to hear and reminds me that of course, I'm entitled to "peace" and some wonderfulness. But it's all good. Enjoy your Labor Day! Talk with you soon.