Thursday, August 17, 2006

Stuck in the Past and More...



I get this sooo often, "I know you." The statement dripped off this cute older patron at the Southside Seafood Restaurant on Tuesday as I stopped by there to get a bit to eat. She had curly hair, a jazzy black suit on, and those glasses that her brown eyes appealed to mines. I shook my head, trying to figure out where, did I know her from. As I sat and browsed magazines, she asked me again, "Didn't you go to Kenwood Academy?" I nodded acknowledging that I had graduated in 198_...U know Im not telling you, right. Anyway, she mentioned that I used to be the "coupon girl" and I laughed, not even remembering. I think as I went to KA, I was like my mom's assistant so I probably was clipping coupons in the class. Well, all this conversation was with...if you haven't guessed by now, my Senior High School Typing Teacher. I sucked at typing and I used to spend a lot of time talking in that class.

It was weird seeing her twenty years later...but she looked the same. She mentioned I was "skinny" then but was chunkier now. Okay, it was cool though. She was really impressed with my accomplishments. I was stuck in the past, remembering, I hated high school, but I got through it.

Isn't it funny how getting stuck in the past can hinder you. For me, that conversation was a nice through back. As I had a chance to talk with my former teacher, I realized, that I've done a heck of a lot with just a little - faith, love, and acceptance of my God-given abilities. I graduated with a 1.8 GPA, yep, that's right. And one year later when I transferred to Columbia College (don't ask how I got in with that GPA), I was an honor student with a 3.8 GPA, then I transferred to Grambling State University to finish off my journey.

I really didn't know what I was going to do in College, but I applied myself and quickly figured out English was the way to go. I began writing poetry around the age of eighteen and since that moment, could not stop.

I'm glad I didn't let my 1.8 hinder me, for I knew that I was not a "dummy" but I had allowed life issues with my past hinder me and stop my progression, sort of like most students I work with in the schools now.

I only use myself as a living testimony, that with a little you can do a lot. Life gets hard, and choices have to be made. All you can do is the best you can do and push on. Pray. Until. Something. Happens. Use your God-given ability and of course, your family, your community, your enemies, your energies, to do a lot.

It can help push you on. But staying stuck in the past, not dealing with your issues, or trying to figure out how to get yourself to the next level, can be something that keeps you glued to the negativity.

I hope you find this blog of use and if you have suggestions on how being stuck in the past...can hinder progression in life, please share below.

Be blessed,
Mocha Sistah

2 comments:

Diamond said...

Well, 11th grade i took typing, not sure if it was a requirement for I was in the academic program. Well i hated typing, could not get the asdf jkl; well i got a D in typing. Mrs. Kanka(i even remembered her name)lol she really cared about her students and now looking back over those 30 years...i know why. The college papers, now i type on the computer all of the time...fast too. Write poetry. write, write, write....if it were not for that typing class.....eventually i would have learned..but she provided the foundation. And i can thank her today for it. as a matter of fact, all of the teachers that were there at that time remember me as the skinny shy girl of the Wright family.

thank you for this post. i thought of this right away.



oh and there ia this one: elementary school principal(1969) saw the article written about me in the paper in 2004. She remembered me...she called my sister looking up our last name in phone book...my sister gave her my phone number and she called me. she was a white woman, just like the typing teacher...cared about everyone. so Mrs. Shaltis told me she enjoyed the article, remembered me when she saw my face and she told me to write a book before she dies. I got work to do, Mocha. She lives near the shore, but i need to get something to her. Last time i heard, she is still living.....whew, talkin about pressure...and caring!

mochasistah said...

that is soo cool that ur teacher found you. it's funny like that. My teacher, she was so cool. I got an "A" in that class and I sure hated typing but that's all i do every day now. type of jobs, for papers, for poems, for everything. and I got like 60 wpm or higher on tests so it's pretty good. i barely had 25 wpm back then. That's too funny. hunh?