Sunday, August 20, 2006

Sights and Delights

This is the unofficial, official, Mocha Sistah weekend beat report. Served up Sunny Style on a Sunday.

Friday, on a misty Friday night.........I attended the 25 High School Reunion of Hirsch High School....on the Spirit of Chicago with my cuzn's Kim and Sheree, as they met up again with old classmates, went down memory lane with classmates on a Two and 1/2 Hour Boat Midnight Cruise that left Navy Pier...and circled mostly around the Lake Michigan area. Sheree flew up from Kansas where she lives with her two kids, and Kim lives right down the street from me. Around 11ish we made our way over to Navy Pier and waited for a classmates of Kim's at the spot in front of the boat. It was damp and dreary but for me, a free ticket to hang out with the cuzn's and chill. Sheree was dolled up in her Cream Colored Two-piece pant suit, while I chose a Sheer Black and White top with my Jazzy Blue Jeans and Silver open-toed sandals...and Kim topped off our group with an Island influenced summer dress and sandals. Although we waited a while to get into the boat, it was a quick journey up to the second level of the boat and the first person I saw entering the spot, was an old friend/co-worker who just so happened to be the deejay (Fabian N.) and a few beats later I was in the drink line and bumped into Frank (another former co-worker) and some of his Omega Psi Phi brothers. As I got to the table back with my cuzn's, and twirling on my weak Apple Martini, I glanced up to see Dawn, a classmate of mine's from Kenwood Academy who so happened to be on the same boat. We joked about our class reunion's heavy price...and our non-activity of it. As the music kicked in, Mocha got her groove on doing the Cha Cha slidddd.....e and then left the boat with cuzn's around 2:40 or so.

Saturday.....with Mom's.
My mom and I attended the Ravinia festival highlighting the 80th birthday of blues legend BB King and the show was opened up by Mavis Staples, another bluesy legend. Since we were smart enough to take the Metra train up, we avoided most of the traffic and we were able to catch an early train, which enable us to scope out a better spot near the front stage although we had lawn seats, Ravinia is designed where you can hear the artist whereever you are sitting. The night was overcast but didn't rain and we had a great time laughing at the some of the slightly drunk listeners sitting near us. We sipped on White Zinfindel and Red Wine; nibbled on Chicken Breast Sandwiches and assorted snacks. And even though we left a little early from the concert, we were able to get back downtown around 11:30 pm (Ravinia is in Highland Park, IL); eventually creeping back to my side of town around 12:30 am.

Sunday...with Mom's and my gurls.
My mom and I went to breakfast...5 Loaves Restaurant, a South Shore staple, where I chowed down on Buttermilk Pancakes and Mom's had a traditional breakfast (scrambled eggs and green peppers/onions) with toast and creamy grits. Mom's took a nap (at my crib) and I surfed the web...and fielded phone calls midmorning. A client kept calling me unsuccessfully I add (I do have to have some rest so I did not answer my phone)....Midafternoon, Mom's on her way back to the South Suburbs, gave her a hug and kiss and took my own nap. Around 4pm, my gurls came calling and got me up out of the house to the Alpha Phi Alpha Picnic where we kicked it with some of the Alphas and I realized I knew one of them...Brandon, who I worked with last weekend in California. Small small world. Anyway, the highlights were one of us gurls got some digits....it wasn't me (rolling eyes), and we chowed down on some fantastic rib tips, and sweets. Side dishes were gone by the time we got up in there. The weather was absolutely beautiful.

As I enter a new week, I'm hoping to finish one book and start another project. I got some new authors and returning ones. It's back to the grind. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. I will.

-- Mocha Sistah

1 comment:

Diamond said...

What a weekend! Especially that cruise, that's what i am talkin bout! And with cousin Sheree all dolled up with her outfits...Omega Psi Phi..gurl watch out,,you are dangerous and you did your dance!cha cha slid? i forgot exactly. lol

BB King 80th birthday at the Ravinia..i am glad you went -you and mom. took the train, just marvelous. He was in Trenton for the 80th birthday celebration.

Back to work time for you-be cool, calm, and collective as you work on these books. also i have to deal with school issues, money, student loans...decisions and health appt today. (it is after midnite) just posted a sort iylana 2 paragraph something...ok...nice sights and delights you had...see ya later!