Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Reflections


Today I had the chance to do a little volunteering at the Zoo of all places. Got a chance to slow down and enjoy the natural elements, a little chilled wind to my face, and all the holiday lights, meeting families and little ones, helping them with their little decorations at the craft table I worked. It was nice. It's just nice helping out folks. I think a lot of single women during the holiday season simply are overwhelmed, or beating themselves up for what they didn't do during the year, especially if they are in my age bracket. Women in the mid-thirties, if they don't have children, sometimes might have that torturous voice echoing in their head about lack of men, or children or both. For me, I'm in the middle ground. I'm not exactly sad about not having my children yet, but I would like to build a family with someone who is a good father, and will balance me out. I'm not rushing to have a child, nor do I feel a biological clock ticking around my ovaries. I do know that when it's time for me to make that sacrifice, God will tell me. I think it's important that many of us not rush, especially if we have family members chipping in their comments. I mean, folks are gonna say what they wanna say, especially when you are a mature sister, who has never had children. The same can be said of the fellas. I think it's important to just do "you" until you are ready to make that sacrifice and I don't think it's selfish.

I think waiting on child-bearing has made me a better person, especially experiences with community programs, mentoring youth, and teaching youth. I love children! Don't get me wrong, but there's a definite sacrifice. And I want my children to be loved and in a great foundation hopefully with a balanced home with a man that is there for the long haul. Maybe I'm a dreamer. I still am old fashioned girl who believes that can be.

Until we meet, I'll try to blog again before Sunday's new arrival of 2006! I have not even begun to reflect in my journal of the things that have transpired in the last four months. But I'll try to make up for lost time this weekend.

Be blessed,
Mocha Sistah

No comments: