Thursday, July 13, 2006

Defining Success For You



I always equated success with thousands of dollars, a Benz, and a fat bank account. But as I got along in life, I redefined my measure of success because it's not always about the materialistic things in life. There are things in my life that are much wealthier than a big bank account, and physical things I cannot take when I leave this earth.

Eleven months ago when I ventured into the Self-Employed lifestyle, I had no real goals. I was going along with what God gave to me. I was stripped from a nine-to-five job where I was very stressed out, and not feeling that I used my gifts fully. I was taken from a very secure situation to a more flexible lifestyle as an Educator and Freelance Writer. When I worked a regular job, I did not pay all my bills on time, yes, this is true. I was living beyond my means...and I was trying to play constant catch up with bills. When I started my new life, I got all my bills straightened out, and to this date, all my bills are pretty much being paid up. I haven't had any problems with anything. I just had to redefine my life in according to what matters.

What became a focus point for me was:

Family
Close Friends
Community/Volunteering
Assisting Artists

What's Wealth for me:
The way I treat my friends
The way I treat my family
Networking with people who I can help
and who can help me

A Successful day:
Did I treat people kindly
Did I have time for my family/friends
Did I have any valuable "me" time

Successful things in my life:
Inclusions in anthologies
Contributing Writing Highlights
Being able to share with youth
Positive comments from my musers
Praise reports from my friends who
were recently blessed
My peace of mind and spirit

I think it's important to plant seeds of positivity. If I walk this earth for years and never blessed a kind word or deed to another soul, all the book sales in the world means nothing. If I walk this earth for years and died tommorrow, if no one remembered a kind deed or word that I did, then all my living would be in vain. Success for me has more to do with my spirit and soul and what I've done in the world to be a positive loving human being.

What you choose to focus on - and being a success in life has to do with you. For me, it can be 2 books sold, or a new referral from a client. Or a conversation with a school that praised me on work I completed...

I'm wishing you well on your successful endeavors in life. Remember, it's what you do with your "dash" that counts. It's what you do on this earth NOW before you released from your earthly obligations...

Be successful always!
-- Mocha Sistah

2 comments:

mochasistah said...

M'lyssa...i appreciate your comments. You will break into the business greatly as we need innovators and people who want to bring QUALITY work to the forefront. I encourage you to live your dreams outloud and yes, I love to mentor you. Be blessed and continue to stay true to your pen!

Diamond said...

Mocha,

I enjoyed your comments on the success blog post. We cannot take anything material with us; we really have to enjoy life now while we are breathing. A full time job is not the answer, the Rolls Royce or the house on the hills. If i am on a blanket near a lake, with a journal and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, the Bible, water, art books, some poetry, some koolaid, my glasses, snacks, a mango, and a laptop and my camera for just one day let me be happy for i am just for that moment! tomorrow has not arrived.....it is not promised..