Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Freelancing or Not?

So, this summer things did not exactly go the way I wanted them to...But I know one thing. When things go unplanned, sometimes it's a better result. Now, by August i will be Mocha Broka files - eating on ramen noodles and waiting for birthday gifts to roll in. Though I didn't get a chance to go back to the Youth group, I am happy I have had 1 month to relax, be lazy, and be on my own schedule. This has forced me to relax a lot more, hang with family, and have time for friends which I normally don't. I have been writing more freelance articles - I'm now on Associated Content, and will post that link where I get paid for articles. I'm a virtual assistant for two clients and it's hectic but workable. I hate email more than ever since I have to be online all day most days - not chatting but posting articles, reviewing books, and let's not talk about my eyes...I do have glasses and will need new ones by the time school rolls back in. I got a check from a poem that got published this month. I won't talk about what I ain't making. I will say that at least I feel that I'm doing my purpose. I am about to sip on some strawberry boons and repack my bag for tommorrow I"m going to enjoy a concert at Ravinia - Patti Labelle...with friends and my Mom.

I've been dealing with the low side of Self-Employed life - it ain't easy but I am hanging in there. I'm grateful for my parterships...and collaborations. I know at the end of the day I am doing what God designed for me to do. I am on the path he wants me to travel. And he continues to blesses me in ways that makes me know I"m where I need to be.

Freelancing has been very interesting. Writing harder than ever. Submissions all over the place. I'm toying with the possibility of rolling myself out as an artist. I have the voice. I know who to get to work on my material. Just haven't gotten my feet wet yet...I'll keep you posted on that.

If you get a chance, please go to the American Idol site and vote for my tracks My Temple and Misinterpretations - Station 111 and 112. My temple is currently at #5 and Misinterpretations at #30 out of 50 tracks. I added my favorite spoken word poem, Lowercase, which is now featured in "Songs of Hope".

I wish you a beautiful day and weekend. Stay cool.

Until then.....keep it going.

- Mocha Sistah

2 comments:

Diamond said...

Good nite for I am hitting the sack, but before i do let me just say that we are in the same position with the exception that i have not found any freelance work, tutoring, etc because of my health, esp the foot swelling. This whole month I had to really take one day at a time with eating, I knew that i will not starve..and yes it was raman noodles...and i still resort to them when i have to. I am thankful for what i do have...that is what i try to focus on. You and I both know that it is going to get better. My cash flow usually gets better when school re-opens as yours will do. I am glad that you have the work you do have, even though it is not what you are used to. My internet is not suppose to be on and it is still on. I will pay the bill when my pay gets here. I know that i need that gig at Barnes and Noble. I cannot see going to Atlanta to look for a place without more income. My expenses have gone up and the income remains the same. I cannot even get your new book and Mlyssa's book right now because of limited funds. Mocha, hope things get better for you. In the meantime, enjoy your life....and your family. Because I can't even enjoy mine. Keep writing!

mochasistah said...

Hey Diamond, sorry I'm just getting your note. I know both of us will succeed. Gotta be a little rain before the sunshine. It's only one more month of freedom, then school starts again and things will coast back to what I need. Plus the projects I am working on now will really help to position me. Sacrifice is what we both are doing for ourselves and our writing abilities. I will be sending up some prayers for you and you continue to keep that positive spirit. Be blessed.