Friday, July 07, 2006

Letting Go: Giving Back to Your Soul


Don't you wish you could be this little girl with no problems, just laying around and enjoying without any real burdens? Yes, you do...but you can't. Sometimes the load of life can be a bit much. And I know you have heard the statement, "Let Go and Let God." But it's a little more challenging than just saying that out loud and hoping for the best.

Whether it's you getting out of a relationship, dealing with a difficult situation, or getting a divorce, it's hard to let go of something that meant so much to you.

Ask yourself a few guiding questions:

1) What can I do to be positive about the situation?
2) Why am I so mad about this?
3) How did I contribute to the situation?
4) Can I forgive or forget?
5) Will it matter that the person says, "I'm Sorry"?
6) Why am I "stuck" on the rage/pain?
7) Is it hard to say good bye to the memories?
8) How can I honor myself and the other person?

Part of letting go sometimes is dealing with the death of something. The stages of grief are apart of letting go of the situation. IN addition to that it's also feeling rejected, or that you have failed. Nothing in life is perfect. Do one favor to your soul, try to ease the load. Yes, it's harsh sometimes when dealing with life issues and unexpected situations, but you have to eventually let go and give back to your soul.

Find the courage to do what you feel is right for you.

Suggested ways to deal with this:

1) Find a way to speak to the person
2) Write a letter
3) Phone call
4) One-on-One visit
5) Do not blame or accuse them
6) Be accountable for your actions/contributions to this situation
7) Write in your journal
8) Try to sort out feelings before you address them
9) Find a friend/person who'll be non-judgemental that can listen
objectively; it's not all about advice. You need a sounding board
10) Stay true to yourself
11) Accept the person as they are: it's possible they may not be able to
say I'm Sorry or even take accountability for their actions
12) Take the high road

Be blessed and post any other tips on the blog. Your soul will truly, truly
thank you for taking that "load" away.

- Mocha Sistah

3 comments:

Diamond said...

Hi there Mocha,

Life presents us with so many challenges and situations that are unexpected. Sometimes we just don't have the answer as to why a certain course of action occured. Being imperfect as we are, we may even interpret a situation in the wrong way. Sometimes we don't even have all of the facts and figures. Even when something happens to someone dear to us, we may wonder why. If we have lost a dear loved one, sometimes we are hurt with them because we didn't say goodbye, even if it was not their fault. Things "happen" in life that throw us for a loop sometimes; yet it is so easy to forget to take "five, ten or even fifteen, or that daytime nap to rekindle our souls. We must give back to our souls, what was taken away, whether we allowed it,or someone strips us of our good way. Sometimes it seems like we lost or losing a good friend and we may not understand their behavior. Their behavior may have nothing to do with us as an individual; it may have everything to do with them. We want to keep busy, stay focused and positive. I am glad that you are doing that for yourself. You are making so much progress in the writing-publishing world and you want the same for others. But don't forget to have some play time for yourself.


I saw the suggestions here in my litttle purple book under"You Deserve A Break Today If you have been too hard on yourself, too busy living in your head and giving your life over to too much work, you are missing out on the glorious gift of play. Play refreshes and renews the spirit even as it engages the body and mind. Fun is allowed. In fact, play releases your most creative thinking. Artists constantly mention that a sense of play and experimentation are essential to the creative process. If you have lost your play in life, it is time now to revive the lost art. Genuine play revitalizes the spirit, refreshes the mind, and restores a sense of physical well being. If you observe children at play, you will see that they engage themselves fully. They experience the moment and enjoy physical and mental pleasures and challenges of play.

suggestions
1. a new hair do
2. good movie, picnic, park, concert
3. retreat for a quiet hour to read a good book
4. arrange flowers in a beautiful vase
5. group of friends around the piano to sing
6. sing a happy song the next time you are in the shower
7. shop or go out for tea with your best friend
8. start a new project or finish a neglected on
9. put your favorite music on the next time you feel blue
10. sleep in and have breakfast in bed
11. dancing at the music house on wednesday nights
12. go to www.poetryteacher.com
you may already know about that site...www.fictionteacher.com
13. think about all of your poet babies and teens....they will be waiting for you so you got to take your breaks and play....

Work very hard to let go of those things that we cannot do anything about; it is difficult but it can be done...my dad's illness, moving, health, had to postpone my trip...so much i cannot do anything about this moment....but i do know that things will work out...and they will work out for you as well. KEEP WRITING!

** i would like to read over those questions again and answer them. tomorrow sometime. The questions that you posted...

Diamond said...

stay true to yourself!

take the high road!

mochasistah said...

All you've said was very very true. Life throws a lot at us and yes, we seem to sometimes not understand but have to learn to let go, truly let go in order to deal with it more effectively. Because holding on to pain and frustration is not a healthy thing. I love my little naps though lately i haven't been able to do that. I always seem to be able to take a walk outside which is the most relaxing thing to do.
You're the third person, to remind me to get in my play mode. Ok ok. I heard ya'lll. LOL> I'm going to the Taste of Chicago this weekend and I don't have any books to work on this weekend. This week I've read one book and I'm currently reading a little BET romance book that's interesting. I"ve been able to talk with my friends more often and just try to relax, plus planning for the Atlanta trip. I will be having too much fun there. I can't wait to go so I can hang out with poets in Atlanta. I will be reading your suggestions, copying and pasting them for they are really excellent ideas, some that I've done before...some that I need to try. and yes, I will stay true to myself. Work hard, play hard. I try to balance it all out. Be blessed this weekend! Keep your pen to the page...