Saturday, March 18, 2006

Musings - new growth and change



So basically this is day number five I believe. My hair is a trip and a half and has a mind of its own. It's doing it's own thing. Like I'm not even here. But anyway, I was in class yesterday and it's been interesting the comments I get about the new "do". One of my students said I looked like a Jamaican. Another student in my class at Kozminski asked if I was married to a former administrator. Hey, I got kind of excited with that question. I almost never get asked if I'm married. I told them the truth that I wasn't married. Awww~ I saw one of the students that used to be at the high schoool, he tried to rip on me saying, "she looks crazy", I just ignored that boy because he's a little kid, but it didn't really bother me. It just was funny as hell to me.

Thursday night I went to Three Brothers and a Mic poetry Anniversary (3 years), took a minute and a half to get the show started but it was nice, very packed over 20 poets represented, I recited, "Fireflies" in the Open Mic, and that was it. It was a three hour joint. Thus, on Friday when I had to get up to teach I was so tired. But I did do okay with my lessons.

Today, I plan on taking it easy (what?) no real work to be done. I'm taking myself offline for a few days so I can be "me" and relax and work on some things without being drawn in by the internet pressure. See, for me, I have to be online to update blogs, send emails, do research, update my listserve, yada yada yada. It's like so much to do, so little time, but I have five days off from the regular school teaching and I want to take advantage of it.

Anyway, take care and I'll talk with you soon.

~ With light,
Mocha Sistah

4 comments:

Shelia said...

I like your new hairstyle. Finding a beautician that you trust to do your hair is so hard. I know I miss my beautician in Dallas.

mochasistah said...

Thanks Sheila. I was always intimidated to allow someone to style my hair, so it was surprising when I was introduced to Shavon, saw her locks and her children's. She's got an awesome way of dealing with different textures, and keeps it simple by telling me what I need to know to maintain them. I never knew my hair could be this pretty in its natural state. So, it's a win-win situation. And Yes, a good beautician is very HARD to find.

Anonymous said...

Hey there my true and trusted friend, i should say, most trusted..You looking mighty fine with that do! I can recall having that one but not as pretty. Now I got to deal with the microbraids, but I am a telling you, theylook good to other people so something must be on the up and up! I like that experience you had in class them young boys are c-u-r-i-o-u-s. that's how they are, i do recall. most precious and refined, Diamond!

mochasistah said...

oooh we, i love my hair. for real it's so nice and soft. never thought it would be. i'm getting used to not styling it all the time. just moisturizing it. can't wait to get them tightened up in 1 week. I still get some crazy comments from folx but i ignore 'em all the way baby. i can't wait to see your new braids lady. ~ Lady locks signing out