Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Value of Nothing and Everything

While in my youth group on Monday, Khari, one of my IT students said, "you rich miss pam"..cause I was talking about travelling to Atlanta and Detroit in the month of April. He said that most of us can't just up and go. Well, I said, "I can up and go because I normally plan ahead and I have no children..." I mean, I know for sure if I did have kids, I probably wouldn't travel as much. Money might be a little tighter. Plus, as a business owner, I get my money back because it's a business expense. He did have a point. Isn't it interesting that we think of ourselves (sometimes) as broke? And I have been on the grind since I first went to this lifestyle as a self-employed girl, I wasn't "rich". I was BROKE. I had my mom laughing today when I said, "I have no ego." There was at time I didn't have that much money, had to hustle to keep my phone on, and got one of those pre-paid visa cards so I could pay my bills coz my bank account was a goner... Sister was straight BROKE with no ego. Shoot. Yes, I was even in one of the lines at the Currency Exchanges to cash my unemployment check.

During my non-rich time, I asked my brother for $200 which got me through one month if you can believe that. I was eating at the Dollar Store and the lowest form of groceries (no junk food, just veggies, ramen noodles, pork and beans, turkey burgers, chicken breasts, and fish). I didn't eat no snacks, didn't go out like I normally do. Six months down the line I'm definitely got more money. I never though of my self rich but lately I have been gaining a few more pounds cause Mocha is doing well financially and I do have money stacked in the bank. I even got piles of change around my house. This is a mocha secret (my whole family has this thing we do - I think my mom started it with her big ashtray of pennies). Right now, I have three different coin holders with everything from pennies, dimes, quarters, and nickels. That's how I know I'm doing alright. Khari is right, I'm "rich" by the kids standards.

Though technically I'm still on the bus, ain't rolling in no benz. Come summer, I will be travelling quite a bit, still paying my rent, and enjoying my life. I know the value of nothing and everything. Ain't afraid to ask for help, or say I need to make a payment arrangement coz I'm gonna be late for a payment.

This morning I woke up with no DSL cause AT&T took off my DSL - yep, I had to dig into the account to get this back on. But it's a blessing, cause Mocha had prayed for jobs. Everyday I get a new client or some type of work with compensation attached to it.

So I guess, I'm doing alright. For a small changer. I say it everyday, "grace of god". Sometimes when kids see me, they imagine my life is perfect, which it ain't. But it ain't half bad either.

Starving artists gotta have their days. Today's just one of my good ones. Maybe one day I'll publish the mocha broka diaries. What I want to say is be grateful for what you have. Some folks have it worse off that you. Believe that!

Wishing you blessings,
Mocha Sistah

2 comments:

Diamond said...

Shoot! I gots to comment on this one for I have experienced some of those things you have. Some people think I am rich too..they go by the outer appearance but they don't see me making that 100 payment to Comcast cause I want to keep this internet service going, cuz I want to stay in touch with Queen Mocha Sistah, or the days when I am eating ramen noodles, etc, or just sipping h2o. Mocha you have done this one up real good. The value of nothing and everythig. I have change all about me too in this place and sometimes I have to be careful wehen I drop pennies for sometimes I just leave them there. Pennies make nickels, nickels make dimes, dimes make quarters, quarters make dollars, dollars make !!!!! I just found 200 that I lost over a month ago 4 (50) dollar bills. i sent my brother half..I was blessed and know that I will be blessed in return. He just started a new job at a Lexus dealer. God is good! I feel rich!

mochasistah said...

Exactly . count 'em up. Stop laffing at those folks at the local store at the coinstar machine. Folks are out here trying to make it. I know folks that have six figure salaries, just as broke or even broker than me. I was talking with a guy who said he has 3 cars, a house, and then he has to deal with a family member getting sick. He's not in the position to really date like he wants to. Money is tighter than ever. I think sometimes we do have to get frugal. But that sometimes we need to get creative with our spending and where our money goes. Shoot, my AT& T bill ain't nothing to laff at but I needs it. So I can stay connected with my folks liike you....