Monday, January 09, 2006

Keeping it Simple

Soooo, today was my last day off work before going back to school. It's been one funny situation after another. I'm making copies this morning (in my mini-office) and I run out of ink, had to go over to Staples and get ink to last me for at least two weeks. Of course, Mocha couldn't stop at the ink so I bought, new stationary, paper for the printer, and other things that will keep my office running smooth. Before I went to Staples, I ran over to the bank and deposited some checks (can you say HALLELUJAH). All the checks are for my work as a self employed artist. While at the bank, I"m talking with the young lady who's my teller and she tells me that the bank will be having a business seminar that I might be interested in attending. I tell her, I'm already booked for a Business Seminar in March by a company called My Success Academy. She tells me she has heard of those seminars and proceeds to give me some good tips on getting my business checking account. It was very good, because Mocha's mindset this year is to go ahead and organize both her companies, so the IRS won't be on her tail, and so she can be positioned better. Anyway! I was happy when I left the bank because it seemed like of course, things were flowing very well, except one of my clients still owes me some money for services rendered. The nice person I am, well, I'm keeping it simple, but bottom line I didn't have an attitude when I called her to inform her I need to know how she's going to rectify the balance due. We talked about it, and of course, things will be rectified pretty soon. My attitude in the past might have been very much different. But because every day I try to take a little spiritual medicine - prayer, meditate, and listening to my gospel music, helps to keep me balanced.

Flash forward to my house, after the bank and Staples. My bedroom/office was topsy turvy. I was faxing documents, checking emails, and preparing my bag for school for work on tommorrow. It's back to school. I have four schools to teach this week through June 2006, and just signed on for a youth program which will keep me busy. As a self employed artist never thought I'd be juggling all these projects, and at the same time, but I am. Never thought I'd have my own space to do everything I'm doing now, but see how God works it out. So, I'm saying, you'll never know what God has in store for you. So don't limit yourself.

I keep thinking out loud about my financial goals and other goals and I know that if I do everything I say I want to do, I will be in the driver's seat by June 2006. That's like D day for me. NO school between June and September, so I will have to hit the ground running with my other projects.

I'm a little nervous, so I won't lie about that. I mean, it's really cool to have my own schedule, and learning new things like managing a client base, working with artists, and organizing my businesses. But balancing my personal needs with the other things are going to be very challenging. I am not really in a "serious" relationship right now and that's okay. I know that sooner or later I will have to make a sacrifice and cut out some of the things I'm doing now. But for me, this is simple, though for most who know me, think I have an absolutely crazy schedule. I figure I can rest when I get 90.

And I know God won't put more on me that I can't handle. I'm just proud of my success and know without my family, God, and support system, I would not be here. And recently having made a decision to press on no matter what. I have faced some really interesting experiences which helped me to push on and define myself. Just want to let you know that... well, you can make it no matter what. Keep yourself balanced and things simple. What matters most, is your peace of mind, body and soul.

That's it. Everything else is "icing" on the cake!

- Mocha S.

2 comments:

Diamond said...

Peace of mind, body and soul....

Spiritual medicine, I hear ya, Mocha and also...thanks for reminding me that I never know what God has in store for me, so never give up.

Mocha, today I went to the post office a little upset for some reason...I had a package in my box thinking it was your book and it wasn't--guess what? It was a copy of Circumstances a novel by Yolanda Johnson as a gift from the author herself and it was autographed. I could not stayed upset. I told myself that God did that. No one else but God.

Sharon

mochasistah said...

I believe that book might be on back order, or something. I'll check into it for you. I"m sure you are enjoying the rest you received and thanks for your continued support.