Sunday, January 29, 2006

Town Happenings and Observations


Observations
So these past few weeks I have met a few brothers, trying to get my feet wet in the dating arena, and I now realize there's a reason why I normally don't date. One, is it me, or am I tripping about the fact that many of these brothers don't really want to meet an authentic sister such as myself. A lot of guys I'm running into want to expose their physicality instead of show their personality and really reveal who they are. I am a pretty conscious sister and many I have dated have had me laughing either inside or out. The old days of meeting folks are over, where is the romance? Where is the friendship part of dating? Anyway, yesterday I was supposed to hang out with this new guy but once again, he showed me how "shady" brothers can be by not following through on meeting up with me. My thing is this - I'm a Queen and my job is not to open my legs for just any guy, two, I ain't coming to a man's house if he can't meet me half way. If you can't spend time with me in a neutral environment, that tells me all I really know. And why are people so focused on the physicality. Just my observations. Needless to say, I am moving on to the next on my list (cause you know I got one). The one thing I've learned to take men at face value. If he says he's going to do something and he doesn't, then I"m moving on. No second chances. Life is too short to SHORT CHANGE yourself. With saying that, I'm saying ladies stop making excuses for people. If the man can't follow through on basic things, what are you trying to do with him? If you're not a priority at the beginning of the dating process, where can it go from there? Ummm, just food for thought. Yes, my momma ain't raised no fool. Though I have played the fool in the past, I have learned a few things. And I try to demand respect with many that I meet because hell, many sisters won't. IF that makes me difficult to work with , then that's okay too. The one whom I'm being prepared for, will enjoy a real woman, not a puppet.

On to other things....Yesterday a few friends and I went to Sal and Carvao, a Brazilian restaurant (www.salecarvao.com) downtown Chicago. My good friend, SB, turned 36 and we all wanted to get drinks and hang out. Anyway, when I arrived with Raymond, SB's good friend, we should have known something was gonna be fishy. We walked up the stairs and there was a party of white folks up on the second level. It seemed as though the air changed and all heads watched the chocolate folks roll in. They seemed to have an issue with us being there too. After sitting down and meeting some of the other folks attending SB's soiree, it took forever for a damn server to get over to us. SB asked the manager when she would be able to play her music (she brought CD's and the event planner said she should have no problem in using that with the music system) however there was some old ancient dude on the ivory (piano) looking at our table with bugged out eyes and they seemed to swell with time. Anyway, he begins to play "happy birthday" to you reall really loud and my table started to trip the hell out. First of all the music was like storming over our conversation, and SB started cracking jokes. At some point I got a drink (Malibu and Coke) which was kind of weak i might add, and we all began an interesting conversation about sex and relationships. Plus I told the girls a funny story about a guy who e-stripped for me (hey, it's not my fault...!) Anyway, we were there for a minute and kept waiting for the server to come back over to ask us for additional drinks. The young server was white and young and he didn't come back to our table. So twenty minutes later as we still conversating and I'm eating the ice out of my glass (that's a bad sign I might add), he slides the check on the counter, not our table, motioning over to us like we're heathens and not coming to our table to bring the damn check. So me and another sister said, "We ain't going over there to (where he was standing) get the damn check." Basically the server didn't come to our table. Wanted us to get out of our seats to see the check (which was laying on the counter near him)... Now it's customary to bring the check to your customer's table. Anyway, chile we were mad at hell. So when we finally went out of the restaurant, we went over to the area where the check was laying and I simply asked the guy, "Why didn't you come back to our table. I wanted something else to drink" He looked dumbfied. Bland and stupid. I was queen and I didn't get too evil but then he goes and puts the money in his system and returns my change. ON the way out of the place, he says thank you. I'm like, "Yes, Thank you." Kind of sarcastically. Then I grabbed a card with the restaurant number. We all pretty much felt as though we were being ignored because we were the only AA's in the joint and they were rude. I am calling the Event Planner with my complaint, because no one should have to go through that. One of my friends guest said, "Aight, sweetie, forget it!" Bump that. I don't think so. Shit, they didn't know if I was an critic or someone of importance sitting up in that joint. You know! Oh, yes, I will be telling this story to someone and posting my review on Metromix.com. Don't mess with Mocha.

He he he. Anyway, have a great week. I promise I'll be good. Whew!

Blessings,
Mocha Sistah

2 comments:

Diamond said...

That's darn right! Undeserved treatment by the guys and the restaurant, shoot! Forget the dating thing right now, for you are not running into the right brothers. And as far as that restaurant goes, all of you were important business persons. You are an African American self-employed creative artist. A businesswoman who happened to be in a Brazilian restaurant with brown skin. Don't mess with Mocha! and Don't mess with Diamond, for I will take the first flight out from Philly! Tonight!

mochasistah said...

yeah, the dating thing for me sucks about now. Actually, I'm thinking about going Oprah's route...concentrate on the mission of mocha sistah (inspiring and empowering youth and the community) and leaving the rest to the universe and God. I mean, it's just a trip and a half. And my time is too precious to waste. Blessings. girl, save the flight for a booksigning!!!