Monday, April 24, 2006

Isn't it funny...listen up?


When God sends a message, you better listen. So, today I was on my way home and stopped by my favorite Walgreens, to pick up a few snacks and just browse. Anyway, I saw a sister with this beautiful head of hair, and I thought it was my missing poetic sister, Pia, and God would have it that it was miss poetic. As we hugged and caught up on old times, she asked me what I was doing and I told her the usual mocha chatter. She asked me why "you haven't blown up yet." I laughed and told her my time was coming. We talked about a whole bunch of things, and she dropped a nugget in my head. She had shared that she was going to apply a while back to the Community Colleges in Chicago to teach poetry or writing. She said, "You need to do that Mocha>" and I thought about it. I wondered why I never thought of it. Then I started to muse on the fact that half of my poetry friends are Adjunct Professors. I just been teaching so long in schools that I never thought of that as my next level.

Now, the last time I saw Pia was 2 summers ago, as she transitioned to a Corporate Job, and left my Summer Poetry Workshop.

It's funny how God brought her into my space to drop a little something for me to muse on. I don't believe God did this to bring just a smile to my face, but to keep me focused on other opportunities for me to look as I transition deeper into my life as a freelancer artist/consultant.

A year ago when I joined the Black Poetry Cafe, I had several fellow poets in the Chicago area asking me when I would be teaching for adults. Once again, I was so busy that i never followed up with the stream of thought that was brought into me. Last summer, I had an idea to work with adults but I never pushed it. AGain, I was lost in my transition from my last regular working situation that I never even thought of it again.

But God pushes it in my face, again. Umm, wake up and smell the coffee, Mocha was what I thought today when I spoke with my fellow literary sister. I listened this time. When I got home I sent my resume to the CCC for consideration for Adjunct Positons and we'll see what will happen. In the meantime, I will keep a pushing.

Isn't it funny how things keep coming back? Do you think it's a just a happenance? Or that it was fate? Or a bigger plan? You choose.

I just know the divine is always on the case and sometimes, we need to stop, be still and listen.

~ Mocha Sistah

2 comments:

Diamond said...

OH MY GOODNESS, GRACIOUS!!!! I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT BUT YOU COULD BE JUST LIKE SONIA SANCHEZ AND YOU KNOW YOU TEACH LIKE SISTER NIKKI G. YOU ARE A DOGGONE COLLEGE PROFESSOR,,,YES I CAN SEE YOU AS AN ADJUNCT OR A FULL TIME PROFESSOR OF ENGLISHM WHY STOP AT ADJUNCT UNLESS YOU WANT TO START THERE AND CONTINUE YOUR PRIVATE PROJECTS.....MOCHA, LADY LOCKS, I DON'T WANT TO GET TECHNICAL. BUT YES, YES, YES AND I SAY YES ONCE MORE.... TAKE IT TO ANOTHER LEVEL..COLLEGE AND UNIVERSITY....WHEW!!@ I GO TO COLLEGE NOW AND I CAN SEE YOU TEACHING CREATIVE WRITING, ENGLISH, POETRY, ETC...DON'T GET ME STARTED...FATE MY FOOT!!! NO IT WAS DIVINELY DIRECTED...YOU WERE MEANT TO RUN INTO HER, YES....YOU WERE.....THAT IS ON THE MONEY....LET ME STOP RIGHT HERE...GO TO SLEEP ON THAT ONE, GIRL!!!!!YOU MAY MISS THE BABIES, CHILDREN, TEENS BUT THE MESS YOU WERE AND ARE GIVEN....NO.....YOU DESERVE BETTER AND WILL NEVER GET TREATED THAT WAY THERE!!! NO WAY, NO HOW!! THOSE KIDS WILL NEVER FORGET YOU.....SUMMER SCHOOL IS COMING!!!(AGE DOES NOT MATTER FOR MOST OF MY PROFESSORS ARE YOUNGER THAN I AM, BUT THEY ARE HIGHLY RESPECTED) WHEW, GIRL YOU GOT A JOB COMING, THEY NEED YOU!!@!@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mochasistah said...

Yes, yes, yes. I guess all this teaching, gonna get me to the next level for sure. God preparing me for other things. It's like, okay. Things make sense now. So funny how that happened today and I was running late to the house but I definitely kept talking. We spoke for at least 15 minutes. It was great to get that confirmation. Can you see it know, Professor Mocha. Whatz up~