Friday, April 21, 2006

Melt Down on a Friday


Let's keep it real, one of my nicknames is "straight-no-chaser mocha" and I guess today I lived up to it. I been dealing with disrespectful students, and people who think they can "treat" me. Yesterday, I had to assert myself in class with a student who thought he could run my time. I basically asked the teacher to remove the said student, because 1) he was taking up poetry time with his drama overtures 2) he was not contributing to the learning experience 3) I have no time to waste time in my class on non-class activities. The fifth grade class, was in no better shape, as many of the students have behavioral issues and when they are "hyped up", it's like a trip and a half. When ever the teacher steps out, I have to over assert myself. I had students roaming the room, acting like fools, picking on other students, and generally, wasting valuable class time. Now, my options are one, to BLOW UP, 2) Lecture them (yeah right) or 3) refocus them and quickly. Now, I usually don't let it get out of hand, but when it's as chaotic as the last two days, all I can do is grin and bear it, joke while in class, and focus on the ones who are writing. Back to today's dilemma. I been dealing with a very unprofessional affilation with a client who basically owes me...money. I melted down. Couldn't take it no more. Pulled out my "no straight chaser" mocha who will not be nice, who will get her justICE NOW. I had to act a fool, and as a result, I got the situation resolved. My question is why you got to act like evil to get things resolved. Why? And why must we (black folks who we do business with and you know who I'm talking about) think we can treat folks any kind of way?

It's ridiculous. When someone is working for you, hard. The least you can do is Pay them, and communicate with them. Treat them well. The same goes for clients. I try to finish projects on time, and communicate when I can't.

I melted down with the particular situation because no communications were coming from the client. No emails. No phone calls. Missed calls. Most importantly, a missing check. Basically, I'm the sweetest person ever, but if you can't at least communicate with me, it drives me up the wall. There are too many ways to say what you need to say and be professional about it. I am self-employed and many of my freelance jobs, take care of my compensation. It drives me up the wall when I have to seek out the client. It is very disrespectful to play with someone's time and energy.

PAY to play. You can't get anything in this life for free. That's basically the bottom line. Even though I did melt down, I did speak with the client, didn't apologize for the melt down, they apologized for the communication issue and are resolving the current issue.

Attitude is re-adjusted. Angel wings clipped back on and crown shining. Can't be an angel all the time, I just know I won't allow any one to play with me, my talents, or my $$$. Let's keep it real, if you don't go to bat for yourself, who will?

Tips before melting down:

Try to think before you speak.
Five minutes of silence required before you email or call someone.
Try to speak with a third party who can listen with out judging you.
Try to communicate with the other party.
If that doesn't work, then work out in your "head" what you
want to address; then speak directly with the other party
and try to work it out.

Tips after the meltdown:

Don't bring it up again.
Start off with a new slate.
Walk, Pray, or Sing it out...

Good luck and have a great weekend,
Mocha Sistah

4 comments:

Diamond said...

Mocha,
You deserve nothing but the best that is to come to you. Now first of all, you work so hard in those schools and especially in the school that is the most difficult for you. Some of the children can be very disrespectful which have nothing at all to do with you. Your time is very precious to you. Secondly, when you work very hard like that, those children have no idea how you are getting paid and they tend to take the good people for granted not knowing how, where, what or why you are compensated and then when you are not being compensated properly, BAM! Folx are being shady and fiddling around with your money and no that cannot happen....then they tend to want to be evasive and act like they don't know...sure they know the program...it's like communicate! where's the dough? cough it up! if you are not able, to bring it to the table, then why? Call me, tell me..don't leave me hanging in mid-air! I am an understanding gem..just communicate that is all, I am not difficult to deal with...I am an self-employed artist and I worked hard for my peanuts so let me enjoy and chew the benefits of my hard labor.

Anonymous said...

how appropriate of a message as i paid a nephew who recently graduated from community college to designed my first book's webpage. The design was the bomb, and i received great feedback but why oh why when i needed to make a change, he totally disappears-no voice message, no e-mail, no nothing. Yes, i should have learned to make my own darn changes but i thought we had a business deal. I mean he did accept my money didn't he? Is it fair to sue a nephew? Oh, well, lesssons learned.

mochasistah said...

To Diamond: Yes, I work hard. They don't know I have to wait 7 weeks for the checks in the schools, that the IT group hasn't paid me in 3 months, and when they were supposed to cut that check they didn't know when it was sent? Hold up and wait a minute? This is madness. Like you said, I work HARD, and I'm not HARD to reach. I'm either on the internet, or can be reached at home or my cellphone. No excuses. It's just people playing games, not being professional. Well, I'm a professional and that's how I roll. I need the communication and if it ain't gonna be no check cut all they need to do is say it and I'm outttie. I threatened to leave off this project and I will if the check is not in my hand this Saturday. Story to be continued...stay tuned~

mochasistah said...

To: Walee

I have endless patience with those who communicate. I can't stand when folks drop the ball consistently. I, myself, have a webmaster and I have been guilty of not knowing how to update my website, but as a back up, it's probably a good measure to do, especially because you need to keep your website current. It's nice you worked with your Nephew. It's bad that he didn't understand he needed to stay in touch so he could update it for you. Yes, lessons are always being learned. Life's school is in SESSION.